Saturday, October 10, 2015

Starting to Build the New Aquaponic Garden

   So, to begin building the new aquaponic garden out here I needed to look and find out what I still had to work with before I got too committed to any given plan.  As it turned out, I'm in pretty good shape for supplies!  That said, the first place for me to start seemed like building a nice solid frame for that old 2 x 4 garden bed.  While it's true that I never cared much for that while it was in the old system, I'm delighted that it made the trip so I can, once again, start to build a better garden with it!  

One of the first things I was going to need to build was a nice sturdy table to support a plastic garden bed that I know for a fact to be a little ... flimsy.  A few quick measurements and I was off to the Co-op for my lumber.  It turns out that a 2x6 would be perfect for the sides and some classic 2x4s could easily take care of the rest.  I've decided to use 3 inch woodscrews to secure it all and that seems to have resulted in a very solid table indeed.

After the 2x6 sides were squared off and attached I was set to try the table for a final fitting.  I'm pleased to say that it fits!  More or less ...  Looks good to me anyway!  The next thing an aquaponic, or hydroponic, table needs is good solid support under the grow bed.  It's shocking how many people are surprised when their rock, water & plant filled garden is too heavy and falls through the frame they used.  In my opinion, frames are good but tables are better.  Just saying ...








No comments:

Post a Comment